Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How to increase the Income with out increasing the traffic

I've been mainly concentrating on increasing traffic to increase the AdSense income. Base on couple of changes I have done to my main blog in the past couple of weeks I have notice that there are some other factor that you can be used to increase AdSense Income when you are getting the same amount of traffic. Lets have a detail look at these factors.

AdSense add placement and optimisation play a major role. Following is a screen shot I have taken from Google AdSense Optimisation Tutorial. This shows he Hot Spot of three different web pages. If you look closely you can find may clues about where to place content that you want your visitors to see. In this case Google AdSense Ads. Red coloured spot would be the best performing areas.

Then I would like to move to the simplified version of AdSense Hot Spots

Pretty close isn't it? Comparing both the images now you will have a clear idea about what would be the best place to place Google AdSense add. But when it comes to blogs Google change its hot spots dramatically. Non of the above hot spots are targeted. I think that's mainly because Blogger Blog does not directly support the areas mentioned in above hotpots. What I have notice is if you stick to above hot spots you have a greater chance of increasing the Page CTR as it is visible to the user more. As a Blogger Blog user I have to apply couple of hacks to place the Ads to match the best AdSense Ads placings.

One hack was to place Google AdSense Ads in the middle of the post. If you are blogger user this will explain you how you can place it in the middle of the blogger blog post.

Remember DO NOT try to place your ads in a way violate AdSense policies. Eg: formatting content to mimic ads, aligning images with ads, and placing ads under a misleading heading. So you will be safe.


If you are looking for more information about optimising Google AdSense this video will give lots of other hints.



One of another key factor I have learnt from this video is

The first ad unit on a page always shows the top ads that win the auction

So always try to keep the best performing ad unit at the top of the page so clicks will generate more income. So far I did not increase the number of visitors coming to my blog.

I know if you are getting more than 10,000 visitors you will not have to worry much. That's a different story that you and I hate at the movement. Hard working, rich content and bla bla bla...

Lets look at the second method that we can increase the AdSense revenues without increasing the traffic.

Imagine you are getting 100 unique visitors per day and earning $1 dollar per day from AdSense. Doing your maths base on the page CTR and average earning per click you found out that you can double the visitors there is a chance of triple the income that is $3 dollars per day. But at the movement you have run out of ways to increase traffic. What can you do?

According to what I have noticed Page Views (Page Impression) are pretty much like the visitors for AdSense. If you compare your Analytic and AdSense report you can clearly see the difference. When Analytic says 100 visitors Page Impressions under AdSense shows around 120.

Increasing the Page Impression can increase the AdSense revenue not double but more. As you already go the visitors. You have to work little bit hard to make them go around your website or blog posts. That's much easier than bringing new visitors.

Let me share couple of tricks I have done tested in my blog.

1. Add post summaries in the home page and if they are interested take them to the detail page. It means visitor liked your introduction and wanted to read more. Already gain some trust as he/she did not went to another website but decide to go in to your website and not scared to click on the links provided by you.

2. I found this cool LinkWithin comes in handy to increase the Page Views. Why? It shows some related posts with pictures (Thumbnails) and Title. If you saw a cool picture with a catchy title on a web page can you stop clicking on it. I found this really useful as I do not have to spend time on creating thumb nails or adding related posts under each post.

In summery there are two things we can do to increase AdSense revenue without increasing traffic.
1. Optimising Google AdSense Ads
2. Increase the Page Views

Hope this will add more AdSense dollars into your account.

2 comments:

  1. Starting where you finished Linkwithin I installed it just the other day and have seen Page views increase as for Traffic.I am Giving up on mybloglog as the Bounce rate is too high and the amount of blogs you visit towards the amout of visitors you get is 1/10 Blogcatalog is a little better as there is a little interaction between people so you have a better chance link building.But now I am thinking I could increase income by using these heatmaps and the preview tool

    ReplyDelete
  2. they best way to increase revenue is to increase page impressions. Now this is difficult but if you are a blogger, you can use blog sharing. It will increase your traffic by about 300%. I use it on realitypod.com

    To signup, follow this link http://2leep.com/webmaster/apply/1128/

    I hope it helps

    ReplyDelete

Share you AdSense experiences plus your blog website link here.